Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Bumming Rides

Just when I thought I was going to get back on track ... spring break happens.

There have been camps and since I'm close to the camp, it only made sense for me to drive them. At least we did carpool with another family and I do want to do more of that. 

The thing is, because we do all have our own cars, we don't realize how ridiculous it is to all take our own cars separately when we are just blocks away from each other and CAN carpool. Again, I won't ask for rides it's if out of someone's way (because then it defeats the purpose of not taking the car), but if it is on their way, and they're driving anyway, then it's fine with me.

And it made me realize just how often we're all driving separately...together. Yes, having your car means you CAN change your mind and go somewhere else, or stop somewhere on the way. But most of the time you really don't need to.

So far the big obstacles I've come across when it comes to going carless have to do with the kids. There's T-ball that's a couple miles away and it crosses over Dane's schedule for his martial art class. I tried to get it coordinated so we don't have to take two cars, but haven't been able to manage it. Then I thought - Quinn has four or five classmate that go to T-Ball. Since they're classmate, they all live really close by. I don't imagine any of them being put out by having to give us a ride.

But when I mentioned that to Dane, he commented, "then you always be that person bumming rides." Better than bumming cigarettes, I thought. I don't see the issue.

Then I realized that was the issue. I can't do this alone. Dane has to be as invested as I am. He has to be willing to make the same sacrifices. And, although he's supportive in theory, I feel it's sort of "done" with it by now. It's fine being stoic on my own and being independent on my own, but I can't with kids. It's a partnership and it's agreement.

So now I have to figure out how to get back on track, and how to get Dane on track with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment